Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday Read and Learn: Book Review

Justice Seeker and I are having trouble with the switch of our days from Thursdays back to Wednesdays and just realized we didn't post yet. So I am sharing a book review I posted on Quotidian Grace earlier this week because it may be of interest to those of you who are involved in leading adult study groups. Here it is:

Frequent Readers of my blog know that I usually do not review books that I didn't like. However, I am making an exception for Life in Year One by Scott Korb in the interest of alerting those of you who are looking for interesting material for adult study groups. Avoid this one.

I thought this would be a good addition to my teaching library, but was disappointed to find that it was very derivative of the work of John Dominic Crossan, former Catholic priest and founder of the Jesus Seminar. The author quotes so frequently from Crossan's The Birth of Christianity and his book with co-author Jonathan L. Reed, Excavating Christianity, that I wonder why this was published. I'm not a fan of Crossan and do not agree with his theological point of view, but if you are, I suggest you just read his books instead of this one.

Additionally, much of the text is contained in the numerous footnotes which are in teensy tinsy print which makes the book difficult to read.

Caveat lector.

No comments: