Monday, November 23, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to Matthew Camlin, Minister of the Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church (USA), husband, and father of three children.  Rev. Camlin blogs at The Solitary Broom Tree.

Over eight years of the ordained life, I have returned again and again to this chapter in 1 Kings, so fraught with evocative imagery and poignancy, and found echoes of my own spiritual journey. I have read it and found myself in the clinically depressed prophet who "sat down under a solitary broom tree" and asked that he might die. I have read it and found myself in the prophet of God on the run from those who would take his life. I have read it and found myself in the prophet who is unable to discern God's will in all the calamitous noise of the world, but finds it in the "sound of sheer silence." Most importantly, though, I have read it and found myself in the prophet who, despite depression, threats and distraction, hears God's voice saying, "What are you doing here? Go, return on your way, and do the work to which I still call you." Because it is my sacred calling from God to speak his Word and share the living water of his love with parched human souls, I have created this blog -- with the utmost humility -- to share God's Word with anyone who would set a spell beneath this tree with me and listen.

I've just found his blog and I've already linked to and quoted him on my own!

No comments: