Monday, October 20, 2008

Oops

There's a funny story about the newest addition to our blog roll and web ring.

I got an email from a guy who was having trouble getting the ringsurf code to work on his page. That happens, and I gave him a tip (I only have one tip; I'm not an HTML expert) and I went ahead and checked out his blog while I was at it.

There I ran into a snag. See, the site I clicked to was not actually a blog. And it certainly wasn't Presbyterian. What to do, what to do?! I shared the link with the other PCUSA Blog contributors, then attempted to craft a tactful response that said that while of course he was welcome to link to us, we couldn't actually include his site in the web ring.

This was a first for me, as it was the only site I'd ever "rejected" for the ring. I'm all about respectful disagreement and have happily included several blogs in the ring whose politics, theology, and style differ widely from each other. But this site . . . just didn't fit into our conversation. I compulsively checked my email for a response, and soon it came.

Fortunately, the blogger - for he really is a blogger - followed up with confusion and more information and I quickly realized what had happened.

Apparently, there was a typo in the original email, which linked to quite a different site than intended.

Mystery solved!

By way of apology and welcome let's all go visit seminarian Mathew Burl at Musings, Questions, and other Ramblings and give him a little Welcome to Blogging encouragement!

2 comments:

Stushie said...

Sarahlynn, you do a great service to this blogging community by acting as gatekeeper. You've also done great work with the new blogroll and the diversity of new writers. Thank you.

Sarahlynn said...

Thanks, Stushie. :) I don't do much, but I enjoy doing what I do!