Saturday, August 19, 2006

In The Wee Small Hours...

Bread of Life

John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." (NIV)


About eighteen months ago, I was in Macdonald's restaurant, having a coffee before Sunday School. At one of the tables, a woman was sitting alone, who looked unkempt, unwashed and untidy. She was having an imaginary conversation with someone who wasn't there, but every now and then she looked over to my wife and I, smiled sweetly and then continued talking to herself.

Five minutes later, one of the servers came over to sit down for her breakfast break. At first, I thought she was going to ask the lady to leave. Instead, she sat down beside her and carefully halved her sausage biscuit with the woman. It was a beautiful and sacred moment. A holy communion was taking place before my very eyes.

What made this even more special was the fact that I knew the server was having severe financial problems of her own at the time. But here she was, sharing half of everything she possessed on that morning, with someone whose need was greater than her own.

Jesus once said, "The poor you have with you always, do for them whatever you can." The server at Macdonald's preached to me a beautiful sermon that morning. As she gave to the poor, bedraggled lady, she was lending to the LORD. One day, he will amply reward her for that moment of true compassion and genuine love.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You challenge us to do what we can to help people less fortunate than ourselves. Take away our excuses and fears, our lack of patience and compassion. Enable us to see and grasp those opportunities for kindness and care that You place before us. Grant us the strength to fulfill Your words by doing whatever we can. In Your Holy name, we pray. Amen.

Stushie - writer of the Heaven's Highway Blog

No comments: