Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday Question of the Week . . . Mary, Mother of God

On Easter Sunday I watched a program that consisted of various monologues from various people from Jesus life. On of these characters was Mary, Mother of Jesus. The program presented a Mary who was aware and confident in the person and role that her son was called to play. So this made me wonder did Mary, Mother of Jesus, understand or except the role her son would play in the world? Or did she wish that would keep quite and upset the Jewish authorities?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect the following statement of Jesus' in Matt. 12 while Mary and the rest of his family were waiting to speak to him might give us a little clue?

"He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

I've generally taken this little vignette to mean that Mary and the rest of the family were not too keen about the ministry of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

I thought there was another passage about Jesus' family, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for pointing it out in Mark 3:21.