Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thursday Review -- Looking Around

Grace is moving, and I'm in trial Friday with major work events stacked up for the next few weeks, so today you are getting other people's reviews.

Christianity Today has what is really a list rather than reviews of My Top Five Spiritual Memoirs, by Lauren Winner. She lists brief descriptions of 5 books: Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy, by Frederica Mathewes-Green; Things Seen and Unseen: A Year Lived in Faith, by Nora Gallagher; Miriam's Kitchen: A Memoir, by Elizabeth Ehrlich; Virgin Time: In Search of the Contemplative Life, by Patricia Hampl; and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, by Harriet Jacobs.

I thought several of these looked interesting, but only one of them is available on Kindle -- so don't expect me to be reading them anytime soon. (I am blaming Grace for my addiction. There is no basis in truth for that whatsoever, but it is convenient and easy and I am sticking to it.)

Also on Christianity Today's website currently is an interview with W. Robert Godfrey on his biography, John Calvin: Pilgrim and Pastor. I am planning on reading this one, but it will have to wait until after I finish a humongous, but very well done, biography of Jonathan Edwards.

If anyone checks out any of the books mentioned above, let us know. We would love to hear from you some Thursday.

JusticeSeeker
JusticeSeekerOK@aol.com

1 comment:

Jody Harrington said...

Just ordered the Calvin book, thanks for the recommendation! It looks like a good 500th birthday read...