Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sunday Devotion: John 15:16 - A Good Choice

John 15:16  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. (NIV)

 I can remember when I was young playing for my street soccer team in Scotland. Before a game, the two best players lined everyone else up on the sidewalk and began to alternatively choose players. Each time a selection was made, you could see the fear and anxiety in everyone’s face. Inwardly, we were all thinking, “Choose me next!” At the same time, we were also praying, “Don’t leave me till the end!” It was a mark of shame and a dent in a young boy’s pride to be chosen last. I know that to be true, because I experienced it several times.

                Thank goodness that Christ does not choose people sequentially. He chooses us because we have gifts and talents, qualities and characteristics that are unique and much needed for His ministry on earth. Wherever we are and whatever we do, Christ always gives us opportunities to make an impact with our faith. He expects us to bear fruit with our lives, especially when we are around other people in our homes, our churches, or our work places. Today, He has chosen you and I to fulfill His work in our community. His blessing and favor are upon us. Now let’s go out and show Jesus that His choice was the right one.

 Prayer:  Lord Jesus, thank You for choosing me. I am not worthy of Your Holiness, but I am delighted to be blessed by Your choice. Guide me and help me to bear witness to Your Love. Let me share Your grace with all whom You have chosen for me to meet this day. In Your Holy Name, I pray. Amen.

John Stuart is the pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee. he writes the daily devotional "Heaven's Highway" blog.

No comments: