Sunday, February 08, 2009

Sunday Devotions: Star Trekking

Lectionary verse:

Isaiah 40:26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing. (NIV)

I must confess – I am a Trekkie fan. I love Star Trek and the many shows and movies that it has spawned. I record re-runs on my television and usually watch them during dinner or when I can’t sleep at night. I love the idea that one day humanity will travel the universe and visit other stars. I don’t if there is life in other parts of the universe, and whether or not species like Klingons exist, but just the thought of journeying through the cosmos excites me.

That’s also one of my visions of the after-life. Heaven for me will be an endless sight-seeing trip of the whole universe. Since God created such a spectacular cosmos filled with billions of galaxies and stars, then why shouldn’t heaven include a spiritual cruise of everything that God has made? Surely, it would make us praise Him even more to see all of His creation? At the moment, we see the universe through a dark glass and massive stars are just mere specks of light. When we finish our journey here and enter into Christ’s glory, it may just be the launching pad for an everlasting experience of the wonders, majesty, and beauty of God.

I really hope so and if, according to scripture, God knows the stars and calls them each by name, don’t you agree that He will be delighted to show them one by one to His eternal children?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, the stars at night reveal the power and glory of Your creation. They please us with flickers of light in the midst of darkness, and with the assortment of shapes that they make in the night sky. Thank You for such wonders in our lives and for the way in which their existence touches our spirits with awe, reverence, and love. In Christ’s Holy name, we pray. Amen.

No comments: