Saturday, June 07, 2008

Decoration Day Dilemma

Decoration Day

I know - this is not the kind of thing that you would expect to see on a Presbyterian Bloggers site. Whilst I may not agree with what some people use the old Confederate flag for, artistically it's a beautiful design. if I was making a stained glass window, this is probably how I would approach it.

Here in Knoxville, it's Decoration Day and some people will go down to the Old National Cemetery to commemorate the Civl War dead. They will be wearing Civil War uniforms and costumes, and the Confederate flag will be prominently displayed.

As a Scotsman, I do not have the Civil Rights controversial feeling surrounding this flag, but I would be deeply interested in your thoughts. Is this flag about heritage and history, or racism and revenge?

No comments: