Thursday, September 28, 2006

Friday Review. . . Traveling Light

Once again I am reviewing a book that I can't find mentioned by any member blog. I am sure, however, that plenty of ring members have extensive experience with Max Lucado's writings. This week's review is Lucado's Traveling Light.

The first question that any book review must address is what is the book about. Interesting question. It is easy to say that this book is a discussion of the 23rd Psalm. It is equally easy to say that this book is about finding peace and rest in faith. It is both, walking through the 23rd Psalm while focusing on how we overload ourselves with baggage.

The suitcase of guilt. A sack of discontent. You drape a duffel bag of weariness on one shoulder and a hanging bag of grief on the other. Add on a backpack of doubt, an overnight bag of loneliness, and a trunk of fear. Pretty soon you're pulling more stuff than a skycap. No wonder you're so tired at the end of the day. Lugging luggage is exhausting.
It should be obvious that this book is cute, clever and an easy read. My first response to this book was that it was a little too cute and easy. I dubbed it a Christian-lite, self-help book; easy on theology and weak on commitment. I was wrong.

Since then, I've been amazed, and humbled, by the number of people I have talked to who are eager to tell me how this book has changed their lives and their relationship with God. For many people under a certain age the 23rd Psalm is simply something they hear read at funerals. This book with its vivid imagery and insightful detail changes that, providing images and emotional connection to a long-cherished Psalm.

This book is a good reminder that peace comes from surrender. It has a study guide at the back that makes it easy to use in a small group or class scenario. It is comforting, smooth and frequently funny. It speaks well to people who take on too much. I'm not sure that I'm ready for a steady diet of this, but I am keeping my eyes open for Lucado's book on the Lord's Prayer.

JusticeSeeker
JusticeSeekerOK@aol.com

No comments: