Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Heath Ledger - a Talented Tragedy

I liked Heath Ledger. I think he was a highly talented actor who had a lot of potential of becoming the superstar of his generation. I first saw him in “A Knight’s Tale,” which is a terrific movie. He played a young English lad who wanted to become a gallant knight. It was a wonderful story and Heath played his part perfectly.

Podcast version here

The next time I saw him was in Mel Gibson’s epic “The Patriot.” Heath played Gibson’s eldest son, bravely fighting for American Independence against the British troops. Once again, Heath’s acting was tremendous and along with Gibson, he carried the movie.

I didn’t see him in “Brokeback Mountain,” because I wasn’t interested in the movie. My family tells me that he played his character well and that he should have received the Oscar. I was so looking forward to seeing him play the Joker in the next Batman movie. It will be so hard to watch him on the silver screen and realize that he is dead.

I can’t believe that such a talented young man no longer exists. He had the world at his feet and should have accomplished so much more. He could have been the next Marlon Brando, Lord Olivier, or Clark Gable all rolled into one. Instead, he’s destined to become this generation’s James Dean, with just a few movies to his credit.

In Knoxville, we’re also mourning the untimely death of Brad Renfro, a local boy who could have become a talented actor. Sadly, he also died young and leaves behind grieving family and friends. I wish that things could have turned out better for both Renfro and Ledger. They could have become examples of gifted, successful actors to their peers; now they will just become cinematic memories.


Joel 2:28 And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.



O how I wish that the Spirit would pour over this young generation to produce young adults who will prophesy and young men who will have visions for a better world! As an old man, I dream of a new people and new world full of Christians who are committed to the Lord and zealous for His ways. I pray that one day I will see them emerge and be able to encourage them to lives their lives for Christ, His Commission, and Kingdom.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, walk among the young people of our world and please touch their hearts. Move their spirits and inspire them to work for a better world and a happier earth. Raise up leaders among them who are strong and focused, determined and committed to You. Bless this generation to be the best Christians that the World and the Church have ever known. In Your Holy Name, we pray. Amen.

Stushie writes the daily devotion and religious newsblog "Heaven's Highway"

No comments: