Thursday, March 22, 2007

Friday Review (on Thursday) -- Rev Bill and Purpose

This is a day early, because I am leaving town this afternoon. Anyway, I have developed a serious aversion to anything including the words, "Purpose" and "Driven" in the same sentence. I think I developed this rash-like response walking past large displays featuring purpose driven journals, pens, notepads, diaries, books, CD's, car floormats -- ok, maybe not the last one.

There is just something about Purpose Driven consumerism that produces in me the same reaction as the thought of a Southern Baptist at at a school board meeting. So, it should not come as any great shock that I have not read any of the Purpose Driven Life series.

However, Rev Bill has been spending most of his blogging time since at least the first of March outlining and discussing Rick Warren's, The Purpose Driven Life. He is covering each chapter individually, and I have been pleasantly surprised at what I have found there.

You can go through his blog chronilogically to find the posts, or you can go straight to his Purpose Driven category.

Whether you have read the book or not, this is a prodigious and thoughtful contribution to Presbyterian Bloggers and well worth checking out.

Justice Seeker
JusticeSeekerOK@aol.com

6 comments:

John Shuck said...

Thanks for that. I might suggest as an antidote to Warren's Purpose Driven Life, that folks read Robert Price's A Reason Driven Life

It is a valuable critique of Warren's book and fundamentalism in general, plus it provides a great way to look at life without trashing your mind.

Stushie said...

I did this book as an online study with over seventy members of our congregation. I have a folder/file full of forty studies if anyone wishes a copy. Let me know and I'll email them to you.

Trinity Presbyterian Church in melbourne, FL also put on a terrific three day annual conference for Purpose Driven Presbyterians.

Sarah Louise said...

I still haven't been able to finish the Purpose Driven Life, but I appreciate that Rick Warren has a column in Ladies Home Journal that is just nudging enough, and I have been very impressed by the online devotional, written by Jon Walker (and previously by John Fischer).

I may not agree with everything Rick Warren says or does, but the fact that he backwards tithes speaks volumes to me. (Um, that means he lives on 10%, tithes the rest.)

I'll definately check out the blog link. On the other hand, in regards to RDL, I'm not so sure I want to check out a book that has a foreward written by a self-avowed athiest. Maybe I'm just too conservative...

John Shuck said...

Hi SL,

The fact that an atheist provides the forward to the book doesn't keep me from reading it. In fact, more and more people are choosing atheism. Why is that? Part of the reason, I think, is that evangelicalism seems to be the only alternative.

If I had to choose between evangelicalism or atheism, between Warren's God and Price's God, I would choose atheism and Price hands down.

Not only is evangelicalism becoming more and more incredible, the God it portrays is becoming increasingly despotic.

At least that is my view.

Sarah Louise said...

John,

After I commented, I thought, how narrow am I really? I was reacting instead of reflecting. I guess "trashing your mind" hit a nerve with me and so I felt the need to retaliate. I think we need to be so careful--where is the "they'll know we are Christians by our love" which also includes understanding that we all learn differently but Jesus is Lord of all and that is the MAIN point???

Trying to be less reactionary,

SL

John Shuck said...

Well said, SL.

My apologies.
john